What kind of breast pump is better? Classification and specification
A breast pump is a device for pumping breast milk. Vacuum created around the nipple when the device is operating stands for the principle part of the process. To get more comfortable and painless pumping you should pick up the unit carefully.
Types of breast pumps
There is a broad classification for breast pumps.
The main types are:
- Manual breast pump is a basic device.
- Electric breast pump-milk pumping goes automatically.
Experts on breastfeeding advise manual appliance for a start as it is less violent. But to understand which pump is better it is important to delve into the product types.
Manual Breast Pump
Mechanical device is the most common and affordable option.
- Balloon type is a plastic cone topped with a rubber balloon. The plastic cone is attached to the breast, then the balloon is squeezed and released to create vacuum. Balloon pump is useful in the hospital, because it is cheap, compact and easy to use. Expressing colostrum is easy with it.
- Manual breast pump with rubber tubing is a plastic cup with a bottle and a rubber bag attached to them. The device is also known as a lactator (appliance to relieve milk supply). The cost of such pump is low.
- Syringe-like (vacuum) pump. It consists of two plastic cylinders. One is shaped like a large syringe and another looks like a cup. Pros: easy sterilization and low cost. The downside of a syringe pump is uncontrollable vacuum.
- Piston breast pump is a device in which suction is created by moving a piston-like lever, which should be constantly pushed.
Piston breast pumps are subdivided into two types:
- single-phase (pumping milk follows immediately after vacuum influence);
- two-phase pump (a natural rhythm of sucking, which begins with a mild stimulation of the nipple).
Piston breast pumps will go for a frequent expression aiming at feeding the baby. They are productive and feature a flow container. Drawback of all manual devices worth noting is the activity being quite laborious with arms getting tired quickly.
Electric Breast Pumps
The electronic device is more convenient than mechanical one. Such pump is managed with a microchip featuring multiple speed modes.
- Mains-operated breast pumps operate from the mains.
- Rechargeable. The advantage of battery-powered devices is their compactness and practicality: the location of the socket does not matter, so you can express anywhere you find it convenient. Its drawback: as the battery gets lower the power of the pump drops.
Electrical appliance sets often include breast silicone pads, which allow the cup to contact the breast as close as possible, contributing to painless process and nipple cracks prevention.
A guide on breast pumping
Proper preparation will provide a generous milk supply with no damage to lactation:
- Before you begin the process, you should wash your hands with antibacterial soap and your breasts with boiled water.
- Pumping is to take place in a relaxed way in a separate room.
- When breasts are stiff you should take a warm shower and massage your breasts before the pumping.
- In case of cracks on the nipples prior to the activity you can cover them with purpose ointment or vegetable oil.
- Breasts can be alternated while pumping to stimulate lactation.
- The activity aims at complete relief.
In cases when a young mother has to work and leave her baby at home but wishes to breastfeed, a question occurs: how to maintain lactation while breast pumping? For the case the most important thing is not to be lazy and to empty breasts every three hours, trying to express all the milk. The more nutritional liquid is expressed, the more supply you get.
How should I use a manual breast pump?
While operating this type of device make sure to:
- Sanitize the product before each use (boiling or sterilization).
- The nipple should be squarely centered when in the plastic cup; breast is to be supported from the bottom with your free hand.
- When you squeeze a rubber bag or ball, please make sure to take control on the vacuum power. Too violent squeezing can cause cracks on the nipples.
- Milk leaked into a rubber bag should not be fed to the baby.
- When the procedure is over, be sure to disinfect the device to prevent bacteria growth.
This guide is applicable to electric breast pump as well. You can find detailed rules of operation in the manual attached to each product by appliance manufacturer.
Do I need a breast pump in the hospital?
The pump is designed for nursing mothers, who are often separated from the baby or have galactostasis or insufficient milk supply. When you have proper milk supply and the possibility to breastfeed your baby there is no need to pump.
Will you need the device in the hospital? The pump goes at hand in cases when baby sleeps too much, whereas a mom is in need of breast stimulation and pumping to enable milk supply as soon as possible. Valuable liquid is difficult to express on your own, especially if you are inexperienced mom, whereas a pump makes things much easier and faster. Therefore, when the woman is going to the hospital, it is nice to have the device.
Experts do not recommend bulky devices; a regular manual breast pump will do for the hospital.
How should I sterilize a breast pump at home?
You should always keep breast pump clean. Before sterilization, the product is disassembled into its component parts to enable more effective cleaning.
There are several ways of home sterilization:
- With the help of a purpose functional sterilizer.
- Steam boiling. Fill a saucepan with water and let it boil. Place all the parts into the colander and put on the saucepan. Steam from boiling water is used to sterilize the device (for 20-30 minutes).
- Cold sterilization (each piece should be rinsed with boiling water and detergent and then separately packaged to be placed into the freezer for 30 minutes).
Boiling remains a convenient way of sterilization, but in this case you should take into account the recommendations of the manufacturer. Some products don’t tolerate high temperatures.
Which manufacturer should I choose?
Purchase of high-quality breast pump is the main constituting of a comfortable and efficient pumping.
In today's market there are several world leading manufacturers of breast pumps:
- Tommee Tippee (England) Brand assortment presents both manual and electric Tommy Tippy breast pumps. Device sets include milk storage containers, breast covers and feeding bottles. The manufacturer takes pride in high quality and safety product awards.
- Chicco Natural Feeling Breast Pump (Italy) - manual piston device made of safe plastic. Extra teat for bottle in set.
- Canpol Babies Easystart Breast Pump (Poland) is a three speed electrical device allowing you to empty breasts completely. The brand also produces piston manual breast pumps.
Where can I buy a breast pump?
Breast pumps are available in specialty stores of goods for moms and kids.
Kidy online shop assortment also includes breast pumps from the popular European brands, the quality of which has already been appreciated by millions of moms worldwide. Convenient payment options will help you save time and make your purchase right now, without leaving home. Shipping into cities worldwide.